Charming in LA – California Dreaming
Recently I (I, being Angie) had the opportunity to visit LA for two specialty rental conferences, putting me in Los Angeles for 12 days. IN LA FOR 12 DAYS YA’LL. Since Borrowed Charm’s inception in 2013, I have never been away from Borrowed Charm for 7 days, much less 12 days. Talk about stepping out of my comfort zone.
It was crazy being back in California – so much changed, but luckily so much also remained the same. For me, the overall experience of being back in LA is a lot like kissing in the rain while being a little drunk.
If you’ve ever been in a consult, or heard the story of how Borrowed Charm started, you’ve also heard two things: One, the idea for my little business originated in LA which makes this place so very special to me, and two, one of our core values as a company is continuing education, pursuing cutting-edge creativity and innovation. These two conferences were the perfect opportunity to live my truth, make our values actionable and allow me to head back to a place that was so special to me.
LA, when Borrowed Charm started, became a relief from working full time in the corporate grind (in OKC and California) while working my ass off to get small business off the ground. It was a place of dreams, both personally and professionally. Many, many hopes, goals, dreams and plans were created amidst the color and chaos that LA offered and this time, I spent a few days before, between and after the conferences on my own walking down memory lane. Visiting not only special places, but also where pivotal decisions were made that literally altered the course of my life and Borrowed Charm.
From our first inventory purchase EVER at Topanga Vintage Market to important relationships that continually pushed me out of my comfort zone and contentment. It’s crazy to think back then 3-4 items would be considered a “haul” for us inventory wise, and this time around I made at least 3 trips to UPS for shipping and bought 3 new suitcases that, by the way, were a hassle to get home.
My previous times in LA pushed me, challenged me and changed me, but that was just the start. It began a process of wanting more in life, being someone more, someone I didn’t even know I wanted to be. My passion for life changed, my dreams expanded, and I realized that what once seemed impossible was suddenly possible. THIS time in LA has been full of inspiration to bring back to Oklahoma. My head is spinning from everything I learned, new friendships and glorious times spent with current friendships and the reality when you’ve lost old ones. It brought fresh clarity for me in 2020 and where we are heading.
This time I’m leaving LA knowing 5 things for certain.
1. Our team KICKS ASS. Wedding Planners, Delivery Team, Event Assistants, Office Manager, Warehouse Manager – all of them made everything happen while I was gone. Honestly, I think they realized wayyyyyyy MORE than I did, how much I needed this. They handled all the day to day business like the bad asses they are, which allowed me to dive head first into training, focusing on creating and continuing relationships I value and on the days in between, allowed me to recharge alone, without distraction and get my own shit done (hanging out in Malibu was pretty nice too).
2. Finding community in the chaotic, beautiful and emotional life this type of business entails is critical. The Weddings & Events industry is high pressure, high demand, and immense stress; consistently dealing with people running high on emotions with no mulligans. My community knows what it’s like in the trenches, and how to survive the battle field.
“Life is just a little more alive after the first few drinks” Atticus.
Low-quality pictures, high-quality times. Literally laughing with people who “get it” is like medicine you didn’t know you needed. Late-night taco runs, after-hour drinks, and conversations are seriously just as important as spreadsheets, reports, and transactions
3. Home is home, but California agrees with me too. It is a place I find inspiration and joy that I didn’t know I was missing. My mind is bursting with ideas for custom builds, creative projects, and designs. I can’t write them down fast enough. I’ll be back for 12 days, or maybe longer. Normally I’m anti-selfie, actually anti-any photos, but sometimes contentment has to be captured.
4. I chose the right word of the year. CHANGE. It’s a good thing, it’s a scary thing, and it’s time. While I’m walking away confident in what we’re doing and the many things that we’re doing right at Borrowed Charm, some things have to change to continue to grow and serve our clients better. Time spent working on the business is just as important as time spent working in the business, if not more.
5. Knowledge. I realized that what people don’t tell you when encouraging you to chase your dreams is that, sometimes in order for some dreams to thrive, sometimes other dreams die. And that’s okay. You might not get to have it all, but in reality, what you have is actually more than enough.
In closing, I’ll leave you with a quote used during the conference than resonated with me, and if entrepreneurship is on your radar, it might with you too.
“The hard truth is that it is not possible to know the rewards and joys of leadership without experiencing the pain as well. But staying in the game and bearing that pain is worth it, not only for the positive changes you can make in the lives of others but also for the meaning it gives your own.”
Ronald Heifetz and Martin Linsky, “A Survival Guide for Leaders.” Harvard Business Review June 2002 Issue.
At Borrowed Charm, we believe the phrase one size fits all should never apply when it comes to Weddings & Special Events. Through our passion for planning & design, and realizing our client’s personalities, we have created a completely unique and intentional approach of servicing our clients that allows us to deliver a personalized, stress-free & enjoyable wedding experience. We maintain a curated collection of unique furniture and décor to create emotional spaces for you and your guests to make life long memories. Borrowed Charm is a team of exceptional women & men. Professional celebrators at heart, we believe in transparency, our core values as a business and integrity, as well as having one helluva of a good time.